itPrint Australia is launching into the architectural industry and calling all architects, engineers, designers, artists and students who are interested in winning some great prizes including the chance to win a Makerbot Replicator 2X!
Have you ever wondered what your building would look like against the Perth skyline? This could be anything from a house to a skyscraper or even a futuristic spaceport. There is no limit to your imagination. Transform your idea into a stunning exterior (interior is optional) 3D printable model.
The competition is being broken down into 3 categories, Professionals, Students, and Hobbyists.
- A professional is classified as some one who is or has been an architect, engineer or designer.
- A student is classified as someone who studies full time or more than 20 hours a week part time.
- Hobbyists is for every one else that does not fit into any of the other two categories.
There will be 3 categories Professional, Student and Hobbyist. The winners of each category will receive a SketchUp Pro 2013 single-user licence. An overall winner will also be chosen and will receive a Makerbot Replicator 2X.
The judges may also nominate up to 5 other entries as "Judges Choices" to receive a 3D Print of the model.
During the voting period every design entered into the contest will have it`s own personal page to display the model.
All contestants will be able to order a print of their design at a discounted price, once the competition has closed and the winners announced.
Eligibility & Criteria
- Only one entry per person
- 3DS, OBJ, STL or VRML formats will be accepted;
- Maximum build size is 200mm x 250mm x 200mm. If your piece is a larger construction, please design it to break down into parts/sections able to be printed within the build size;
- All models to have a minimum 2mm thick base for the building to stand on;
- Include a 1200px (width) x 800px (height) rendering;
- Include a text document with a minimum of 300 words describing the building and your ideas behind it;
- Once your design has been received it will be test printed on one of our 3D printers (on either a ZCorp Z450 or Z510), if it successfully passes this print test it will be entered into the contest. Details on the materials used can be found here
- Entries must be received between 24th January 2014 and midnight on the 20th March 2014 West Australian Time.
- Design and uniqueness;
- Aesthetics (use of colour / textures);
- Intent (written document);
- Reality (Look of the 3D printed model).